Fustian M,O,A,I.

Maria fakes a letter of her mistress Countess Olivia with “M.O.A.I. does sway my life” to trick Malvolio, who misconceives that it’s Olivia’s love letter to him.

In Twelfth Night, letter M,O,A,I, are triple played with shape, sound, and anagram. The whole scene is about how to solve these four letters. Key of the riddle is to identify how they are printed in the manuscript, M.O.A.I. three times and M,O,A,I. once. The audience cannot know the difference.

M,O,A,I. with commas appears once.


M.O.A.I. with dots appears three times.

C’s, U’s, T’s, P’s

Shakespeare selected letter C, U, T, P, to let Malvolio affirm the handwriting of Countess Olivia, and used these letters to seal her certain features to match the M.O.A.I. riddle. C’s, U’s, T’s, P’s are sound plays to show a lady’s bawdy art: C’s as seize (to seize penis by vagina or hand), U’s as juice or youth (aliveness, vigor), T’s as tits (sharp sudden pulls, jerks), and P’s as piece (genital organ or piss).

Dialogue

[Malvolio finds a fake letter by the chambermaid Maria.]

Malvolio.

What employment have we here?

Fabian. [aside]

Now is the Woodcock near the gin.

Toby. [aside]

Oh, peace, and the spirit of humors intimate reading aloud to him.

Malvolio.

By my life this is my Lady’s hand: these be her very C’s, her U’s, and her T’s, and thus makes she her great P’s. It is in contempt of question her hand.

Andrew. [aside]

Her C’s, her U’s, and her T’s: why that?

Malvolio.

To the unknown beloved, this, and my good Wishes:

Her very Phrases: By your leave wax. Soft, and the impressure her Lucrece, with which she uses to seal: ’tis my Lady: To whom should this be?

Fabian. [aside]

This wins him, Liver and all.

Malvolio.

Jove knows I love, but who, Lips do not move, no man must know.

No man must know. What follows?

The numbers altered: No man must know,

If this should be thee Malvolio?

Toby. [aside]

Marry, hang thee brock.

Malvolio. [reads]

I may command where I adore, but silence like a Lucrece knife: With bloodless stroke my heart does gore, M.O.A.I. does sway my life.

Fabian. [aside]

A fustian riddle.

Toby. [aside]

Excellent Wench, say I.

Malvolio.

M.O.A.I. does sway my life.

Nay, but first let me see, let me see, let me see.

Fabian. [aside]

What dish a poison has she dressed him?

Toby. [aside]

And with what wing the stallion checks at it?

Malvolio.

I may command, where I adore: Why, she may command me:

I serve her, she is my Lady. Why, this is evident to any formal capacity. There is no obstruction in this, and the end: What should that Alphabetical position portend, if I could make that resemble something in me? Softly, M.O.A.I.

Toby. [aside]

O I, make up that, he is now at a cold scent.

Fabian. [aside]

Sowter will cry upon it for all this, though it be as rank as a Fox.

Malvolio.

M. Malvolio, M. why that begins my name.

Fabian. [aside]

Did not I say he would work it out, the Cur is excellent at faults.

Malvolio.

M. But then there is no consonancy in the sequel that suffers under probation: A. should follow, but O. does.

Fabian. [aside]

And O shall end, I hope.

Toby. [aside]

I, or I’ll cudgel him, and make him cry O.

Malvolio.

And then I. comes behind.

Fabian. [aside]

I, and you had any eye behind you, you might see more detraction at your heels, than Fortunes before you.

Malvolio.

M,O,A,I. This simulation is not as the former: and yet to crush this a little, it would bow to me, for every one of these Letters are in my name. Soft, here follows prose: If this fall into thy hand, revolve.

Notes

*the Woodcock near the gin: Woodcock has the usage of an easy-capture bird, or a fool to be trapped; cock of penis; wood of mad, lunatic, or wild passion. Woodcock, wood, and cock can match Malvolio’s reactions in this scene. Gin has the usage of a cunning device, snare, trap, or a rack for torture.

*peace: a sound play of P’s, piece, or piss; a hint on great P’s” in the follow line.

*humors intimate reading aloud: a hint to solve this riddle by sound play. Humor has the usage of animal’s body fluid, a hint on “U’s” as juice; intimate of to imply or suggest.

*Lady’s hand: Hand has the usage of handwriting, skill, or art; a hint on “C’s” as to seize penis by hand.

*these be her very C’s, her U’s, and her T’s: Letter C, U, T can form the word cut, alluding to a lady’s skill in bed to cut men dying of climax. C’s sounds like seize; U’s like juice or youth as vigor, or aliveness; T’s like tits as sudden pulls or jerks. A lady’s lively hand (or vagina) can seize and jerk a man’s penis to make him ejaculate.

*makes she her great P’s: P’s sounds like piece; piece has the usage of a woman as a sexual object. The lady’s skillful and lively great piece (juicy vagina) can seize and jerk a man’s penis.

*It is in contempt of question her hand: Olivia’s handwriting is faked by Maria. Malvolio reads it and speaks loud as if the letter were to and from Malvolio himself. Malvolio involuntarily admits that it’s a contempt to question Maria’s sportive art.

*I may command where I adore: Italic lines read by Malvolio can be treated as if Malvolio is talking about himself. The first “I” shapes the penis, the “I” in M.O.A.I., that may command where Malvolio adores, the “O” in M.O.A.I.

*silence like a Lucrece knife: Silence has the usage of suppression, or restraint. Suppression of sexual desire is like a chaste knife to cut Malvolio.

*With bloodless stroke my heart does gore: With bloodless stroke on anus, the “O” in M.O.A.I., does incite Malvolio’s heart. Gore has the usage to butt or pierce with a horn for inciting an animal.

*M.O.A.I. does sway my life: M.O.A.I. appears the first time with dots. Sway has the usage of to rule, control, or to move against in a hostile manner.

*A fustian riddle: Fustian has the usage of an inflated language, a hint to treat this riddle in an inflated way.

Shape

*M.O.A.I. does sway my life: M.O.A.I. appears the second time with dots.

*let me see: The line repeats three times as a hint, that readers should “see” the shape of the four letters. M.O.A.I. can shape buttocks (M), anus (O), penis (I), glans penis (AI), hinted by “that resemble something in me.”

*what wing the stallion checks at it: Wing has the usage of the organ for flying, or speed fast as flying; stallion of an uncastrated male horse, a begetter, or a lecherous man. Stallion has no wing. Toby mocks at Malvolio’s lascivious mind. He has no such organ to check these letters. Some editions assume stallion is a corrupt form of staniel, a small hawk, but how that bird can apply to Malvolio is not specified.

*this is evident to any formal capacity: Formal has the usage of pertaining to form; capacity of a hollow space, alluding to vagina or anus by form; case has similar usage.

*What should that Alphabetical position portend: Portend has the usage of to signify or symbolize. It’s close to potent. Alphabetical position suggests the sequence of buttocks (M), anus (O), and glans penis (AI) in a man’s body.

*if I could make that resemble something in me: This line suggests shapes of the four letters resemble certain organs in Malvolio.

*Softly, M.O.A.I.: M.O.A.I. appears the third time with dots. Softly has the usage to pronounce slowly and longer, a hint to solve M.O.A.I. via sound play in following lines.

Sound

*Sowter will cry upon it for all this, though it be as rank as a Fox: Sout has the usage of to cobble, or patch. Sowter is an obsolete form of souter, a cobbler, shoemaker, or one who mends. Souter can be a wordplay of suitor. Pronoun “it” indicates the “cold scent.” Cry has the usage of to speak out these letters loudly, a hint on sound play; rank of smelly or scentful; fox of a cunning person or a crafty riddle. Fox (Maria and her riddle) is related to cur (Malvolio) in the next line.

*the Cur is excellent at faults: Cur has the usage of an inferior dog, or a contemptible man. Fabian compares Malvolio who cannot solve this riddle with a cur that cannot trace a scentful fox and makes various faults.

*suffers under probation: A. should follow, but O. does: Probation has the usage of a trial or test of one’s moral, conduct, or ability. Malvolio fails to match the sequence of M.O.A.I., alluding that he fails the test of consonancy, a pleasing combination of sound and pleasure in bed. “A. should follow”: M.O.A.I. simulate the sound of a four-stage sex: M (hmmm) for groaning, O (oh) crying joy, A (eh) reaching ecstasy, I (ay) relieving.

*O shall end: Fabian curses Malvolio ends in O, the second stage of M.O.A.I., a premature ejaculation.

*I’ll cudgel him, and make him cry O: Toby will like to put a cudgel (stick) on Malvolio’s O (anus) and make him cry O.

*I. comes behind: The “I” (penis) comes behind Malvolio’s body right after Toby’s “cudgel him.” This scene interlaces monologue of Malvolio with lines of Toby, Fabian, and Andrew.

*I, and you had any eye behind you: Singular form eye alludes to anus, hinted by the “eye behind” Malvolio’s body, and “I. comes behind.” This may be inspired by sound play of eye and I, and the shape of eye.

Anagram

*M,O,A,I. This simulation is not as the former: The four letters here are with three commas, not dots as the former. Using comma is a hint to make them a sentence. M,O,A,I. can build “I am O.” This could mean “I am nothing” or Malvolio plays the taker role, not the giver. This perfect anagram is hinted by “not as the former” and “follows prose.”

*This simulation is not as the former: The simulation of letters here is not as previous simulation of shape and sound. Former has the usage of one who forms or shapes something. Simulation of anagram is unrelated to shape and sound.

*crush this a little: Crush has the usage of to squeeze or raze. Crush the sequence of M,O,A,I, a little may result “I am O.”

*every one of these Letters are in my name: This line tells the principle of one-way or Sidney anagram.